Healthy Vegan Pastry (Recipe on my Youtube Channel)
- 1 & 1/4 cups almonds – blended till fine
- 1/3 cup cornflour or riceflour
- 2 tb flax mixed with 5 tb water (sit for a few mins to thicken, then stir)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Mix all ingredients together to form a damp but not sticky dough. Roll between two layers of baking paper. Cut out two bottoms and two tops to fit your pie tins. Grease pie tins with a little oil then line bottom of tins with pastry. (Keep tops aside until filling is put in first).
Apple & Date Filling
- 2 small or 1 & 1/2 medium apples – cored and chopped into small pieces
- 1/3 cup lemon or lime juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon or lime zest
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 tsp each nutmeg, ginger powder, clove powder (adjust to taste)
- pinch salt
- 2 tb water
Mix all these together and cook in a pan on medium/low heat for about 5 minutes – until the apples have softened.
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tb nut butter
- 1/2 tb maca powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Blend all these ingredients together. Then add this mix to the apple mixture.
Combine well and leave to cool a little, then put this filling into the pie tins. (Brush edge of pastry bottoms with a little water so it sticks together when you put the pie tops on). Top with the remaining pastry tops. Cook these in a pie maker about 5 mins or in an oven at 200°C for about 15-20 minutes. Cool and serve with Red Berry Sauce.
Red Berry Sauce
- 1/2 cup pitted cherries or raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 tb maple syrup (to taste)
- 1 tsp flax
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch clove powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp water for easier blending if needed
Blend all these ingredients till smooth!
These pies look like the traditional Aussie meat pie with tomato sauce – but are actually a tasty, dessert pie packs with healthy ingredients! Enjoy!