A delicious and healthy cake-like banana bread with no added sugar – the only sugar comes from the bananas and chocolate!
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tb apple cider vinegar
(Mix milk and vinegar together first and leave to curdle)
- 1/2 cup almonds – blended to make almond meal
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tb flax and 1+1/2 tb water (mix together and leave to thicken)
- 1/8 cup melted coconut oil
- About 100g dark choc (70% cacao) chopped into small shards
- 1 large or 2 small-medium bananas – mashed
Combine the dry ingredients (except choc) in a mixing bowl. In another bowl combine all the other ingredients and mix together, then mix this mixture into the dry ingredients until combined well. Lastly mix in the chocolate.
Put into a small loaf tin lined with baking paper and bake 200C about 25mins. Cool in tin 5-10mins then take out and cool on wire rack.
*Double recipe to make a larger sized loaf*
This banana bread also freezes well! For an extra treat, top or serve with chocolate sauce.