Check out some of my sweet recipe ideas for this Thanksgiving – made vegan and healthier!
- 1 medium butternut pumkin (squash)
- 1/2 small apple – chopped finely
- about 3/4 cup dried fruit of choice, chopped (eg: cranberries, dates, prunes, crystallised ginger, apricots ect)
- juice and rind of 1/2 medium orange
- a little grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg and cloves
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans – crushed or chopped finely
- 1 tsp cinnamon, pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp melted coconut oil
Cut the bottom part of the pumpkin off and scoop out the seeds and pulp to make a bowl like cavity. (The seeds can be kept and dried to make my sweet and spicy pumpkin seeds recipe, and the remainder of the pumpkin can be roasted and used to make the pumpkin pie mousse or ice cream – or as an accompaniment to the meal!).
Mix the filling ingredients together and put into the pumpkin cavity. Wrap in foil and bake 200°C about 1hr and 30-50mins, until pumpkin is tender. For topping, mix all ingredients together well. During the last 10mins of the cooking time, unwrap the top of the foil and put the topping on, then continue to cook uncovered till browned. Can be served warm or cold. You can cut into slices like a pie! It also goes well with whipped coconut cream.
Pumpkin Pie Mousse or Ice cream
- 1 cup roast pumpkin puree (roast the pumpkin – brushed with a little coconut oil and maple syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon for extra flavour)
- 1/4 cup dates (soaked 5-10mins in hot water and drained)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp orange rind
- 2 tbs orange juice
- 1/4 tsp each cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg
- 1/2 cup coconut cream – thick
Blend all together till smooth and cool in fridge.
For Mousse – Serve in glasses topped with whipped coconut cream and candied walnuts or pecans on top with the sweet and spicy pumpkin seeds (see my recipe).
For Ice-cream – Spread mixture onto a tray lined with baking paper and place in freezer to harden. Then break into pieces and blend with frozen bananas (about 2-4 bananas) and a couple tablespoons of almond milk. Eat strait away or store in freezer and allow to thaw a little before eating.
Sweet Potato Casserole (Minis) (Makes 2 small)
- 1 cup of roasted sweet potatoes
- 3 tb almond milk
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg and salt
Mash all ingredients together and put into 2 small ramekins. Bake 180°C about 10mins. Top with aquafaba meringue (you can briefly grill or blowtorch it to brown it).
- 1/3 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3tb coconut sugar – powdered
Whip aquafaba and xanthan gum till fluffy, slowly whip in cinnamon and sugar till mixture is holding its shape.
Happy Thanksgiving and Enjoy!