A twist on the classic Red Velvet, these Red Velvet Cupcakes get their beautiful colour from Beetroot!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Time 50 mins | Makes 12
Red Velvet Cake
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup melted Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp cacao Powder
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Oat Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup Beetroot Puree (see method)
- 1 cup Cashews (soaked in boiling water for 20 mins and drained)
- Zest and Juice of 1 small Lemon (1/4 cup juice)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Cream
- 2 tbsp melted Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
First preheat the oven to 190°C.
First make the Beetroot Puree by peeling and slicing 1 large beetroot, boil until tender, drain then cool and blend till smooth. Oat flour can be made by blending oats till fine.
Next put the Milk and Vinegar in a bowl, leave to sit for 1 min then whisk together with the wet ingredients. Finally add in the dry ingredients and mix till smooth. Put into cupcake papers and bake in the oven for 20 mins.
To make the Frosting simply blend all of the ingredients until smooth. Frost the cupcakes once they have completely cooled.